The Extron FOX T USW 103 is a three input switcher with an integrated fiber optic transmitter that provides long haul transmission of HDCP-compliant HDMI, RGBHV, or HD component video, stereo audio, and RS-232 signals over fiber optic cabling. Engineered for exceptional high resolution image performance, it uses Extron all-digital technology to deliver perfect pixel-for-pixel transmission of images up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60. Designed specifically for AV systems, the transmitter is equipped with many integrator-friendly features such as EDID Minder®, Key Minder, audio embedding, audio gain and attenuation, auto-input switching, and real-time system monitoring. These features and the compact, low profile enclosure of the FOX T USW 103 allow for discreet installation in a wide variety of applications.
The FOX T USW 103 provides AV and control signal switching and extension over long distances from a remote location for up to two HDMI sources and one RGB source. Analog signals are digitized to ensure high quality transmission to the output destination. As part of the extensive FOX Series of fiber optic products from Extron, the FOX T USW 103 is compatible with FOX Series HDMI, DVI Plus, DVI, and VGA receivers. It can be used for simple point-to-point applications, or in combination with a FOX Series matrix switcher for support of enterprise installations.
This three input switcher is ideal for a wide range of applications requiring long distance transmission of high resolution content with the highest quality. Because transmission of content is inherently secure and immune to outside interference, fiber applications are favored in government, military, and medical environments. The FOX T USW 103 features industry standard LC-type connectivity.
To simplify integration, the transmitter features two Extron-exclusive technologies: EDID Minder and Key Minder. EDID Minder automatically manages EDID by maintaining continuous EDID communication with each source, ensuring that sources power up properly and reliably output content for display. For HDMI signals with protected content, Key Minder authenticates and maintains continuous HDCP encryption to support quick and reliable switching in professional AV environments while enabling simultaneous distribution of a single source signal to one or more displays.
The FOX T USW 103 accepts and digitizes unbalanced stereo audio, transmitting it along with the optical signal. This allows the embedding of separate analog stereo audio signals via a 3.5 mm TRS connector for extended transmission. The transmitter also provides input gain and attenuation control to manage the audio signals from the source endpoint. These features enable the output volume level to be set, eliminating noticeable volume differences at the destination when switching between sources.
The fiber optic transmiter is available in multimode and singlemode models. The FOX T USW 103 MM supports multimode fiber at 850 nm, which is typically used within buildings or facilities with moderate-range transmission distances. The FOX T USW 103 SM supports singlemode as well as multimode fiber at 1310 nm. Singlemode fiber offers long-range transmission capability over extreme distances of up to 30 km (18.75 miles). It is used in very large facilities such as airports and stadiums, as well as connecting over very long distances between facilities such as university campuses.
- Transmits HDMI or analog video, stereo audio, and RS-232 signals very long distances over fiber optic cabling — Digital and analog video inputs provide system flexibility to extend AV and control signals up to 30 km when using singlemode fiber optic cabling.
- Inputs: Two female HDMI type-A connectors, one RGBHV/RGBS or HD component on 15-pin HD female connector, one unbalanced analog stereo audio on 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack
- All-digital technology provides pixel-for-pixel performance with signals up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60 — The FOX T USW 103 delivers pixel-for-pixel transmission of video signals to ensure optimal image quality at resolutions up to 1920x1200.
- Digital conversion of analog video and audio input signals — Analog signals are digitized, ensuring that a reliable, high quality digital video signal is sent to the output destination.
- Auto-switching between inputs — Auto-switching allows for simple, unmanaged installation in locations such as in a lectern or under a conference table. When multiple inputs are active, the switching priority is configurable.
- HDCP compliant
- User-selectable HDCP authorization — Allows each HDMI input to appear HDCP compliant or non‑HDCP compliant to the connected source, which is beneficial if the source automatically encrypts all content when connected to an HDCP-compliant device. Protected material is not passed in non‑HDCP mode.
- Key Minder continuously verifies HDCP compliance for quick, reliable switching — Key Minder authenticates and maintains continuous HDCP encryption between input and output devices to ensure quick and reliable switching in professional AV environments, while enabling simultaneous distribution of a single source to multiple displays.
- EDID Minder automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices — EDID Minder ensures that all sources power up properly and reliably output content for display.
- Audio embedding — When the analog input is active, analog stereo audio signals are converted to digital HDMI audio.
- Audio gain and attenuation adjustment capability
- LED indicators for signal presence, HDCP, and power — Provides a visual indication of system status for real-time feedback and monitoring of key performance parameters.
- RS-232 control — The FOX T USW 103 features an RS-232 serial port for control and configuration.
- Contact closure remote control
- Alarm notification for fiber link loss — The FOX T USW 103 transmitter can be set up to trigger an external control system for immediate notification when a fiber link has been lost. Requires second fiber link.
- Available as an 850 nm multimode model for moderate-range transmissions up to 2 km (1.25 miles) and a 1310 nm single mode model for extreme distances up to 30 km (18.75 miles)
- Industry standard LC connectors provide reliable physical connectivity and precise fiber core alignment
- Compatible with Extron FOX Matrix Switchers to create HDCP-compliant signal distribution systems up to 1000x1000 and larger
- Compatible with Extron FOX Series HDMI, DVI Plus, DVI, and VGA receivers — Compatible with FOX Series HDMI and DVI Plus receivers up to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60. Compatible with FOX Series DVI and VGA receivers up to 1600x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60.
- Front panel USB configuration port
- JITC Certified — Successfully completed interoperability and information assurance testing for use in government applications and other mission-critical environments.
- 1" (2.5 cm) high, half rack width metal enclosure — Compact, low profile enclosure for discreet placement and concealment.
- Includes LockIt HDMI cable lacing brackets
|Number/type||1 or 2 fiber optic|
|Connectors||2 LC connectors|
|Singlemode||30 km (18.75 miles) with singlemode (SM) cables|
|Multimode||300 m (984') with 62.5 µm OM1 multimode (MM) cables|
|1 km (3280') with 50 µm OM2 multimode (MM) cables|
|2 km (6561') with 50 µm OM3/OM4 2000/4700 MHz bandwidth laser optimized multimode cables|
|NOTE||Operating distance is approximate. These are typical maximum distances that may vary depending on factors such as fiber type, fiber bandwidth, connector splicing, losses, modal or chromatic dispersion, environmental factors, and kinks.|
|Nominal peak wavelength||850 nm for MM, 1310 nm for SM|
|Data rate||4.25 Gbps|
|Maximum pixel clock||165 MHz|
|Singlemode||-5 dBm, typical|
|Multimode||-5 dBm, typical|
|Maximum receiver sensitivity|
|Singlemode||-18 dBm, typical|
|Multimode||-12 dBm, typical|
|Optical loss budget|
|Singlemode||13 dB, maximum|
|Multimode||7 dB, maximum|
|Resolution range||640x480 up to 1920x1200, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p @ 60 Hz sampled pixel for pixel; higher resolution 2K (2048x1080) @ 60 Hz undersampled|
|Formats||RGB and YCbCr digital video|
|Standards||DVI 1.0, HDMI compliant, HDCP 1.1, CEA-861E|
|Maximum resolution||Up to 1920x1200 or 1080p @ 60 Hz pixel for pixel|
|Signal type||VGA-UXGA RGBHV, RGBS, component video|
|Pixel data bit depth||8 bits per channel, 3 channels (R, G, B; or YUV)|
|Number/signal type||2 HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort|
|Connectors||2 female HDMI|
|Equalization||Up to 50' of cable|
|Number/signal type||1 VGA-UXGA RGBHV, RGBS, component video (YUVp/HDTV)|
|Connectors||1 female 15-pin HD|
|Nominal level||1 Vp-p for Y of component video|
|0.7 Vp-p for RGB and for R-Y and B-Y of component video|
|Minimum/maximum levels||Analog: 0.3 V to 0.75 Vp-p with no offset, terminated|
|Horizontal frequency||30 kHz to 100 kHz|
|Vertical frequency||24 Hz to 120 Hz|
|Return loss||<-40 dB @ 5 MHz|
|Input type||RGBHV, RGBS, bi- level and tri-level component video (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)|
|Input level||2.5 V to 5.0 Vp-p for RGBHV or RGBS|
|0.6 Vp-p for component video with tri-level sync|
|0.3 Vp-p for component video with bi-level sync|
|Input impedance||510 ohms|
|Polarity||Positive or negative (follows input or can be set by user)|
|Range||Adjustable, -18 dB to +10 dB|
|Default||Unbalanced output: -6 dB|
|Frequency response||20 Hz to 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB|
|THD + Noise||0.10% @ 1 kHz at nominal level|
|S/N||>80 dB at maximum output (unweighted)|
|Audio bits per sample||18 bits per channel, 2 channels (L, R)|
|Sampling rate||48 kHz|
|Number/signal type||1 unbalanced stereo|
|Connectors||(1) 3.5 mm mini stereo jack|
|Impedance||>10k ohms unbalanced|
|Nominal level||-10 dBV (316 mVrms)|
|Maximum level||+7 dBV unbalanced|
FOX T USW 103